Only candidates who qualify in JAM 2020 (whose names appear in the Merit List) will be eligible to apply for admission to any of the Academic Programmes available at IITs (refer to Academic Programmes and Minimum Educational Qualifications (MEQ) of various Admitting Institutes). Candidates are advised, in their own interest, to refer to the brief profiles of the Admitting Institutes and Departments at their respective websites. Applicants should note that they have to apply by filling an online Application Form for Admission (henceforth called Admission Form) available only at JOAPS website. Based on the test paper(s) qualified, an applicant can apply to one or more academic programmes covered under that test paper(s), subject to fulfillment of the Minimum Educational Qualifications (MEQs) and the Eligibility Requirements (ERs) of the Admitting Institutes. For the academic session 2020-21, the following admission procedure shall be followed for all the programmes at IITs covered under JAM 2020. Candidates are also advised to refer to the JAM 2020 website for latest updates.
After JAM 2020 results are announced, a qualified candidate should have to apply ONLINE only using the prescribed Admission Form available at JOAPS website, irrespective of IITs where the admission is sought. The period for submission of online Admission Form is
April 9, 2020 to April 22, 2020 April 20, 2020 to May 24, 2020.
NOTE to OBC-NCL/EWS Candidates: The candidates must upload a valid OBC-NCL/EWS certificate issued after March 31, 2019, in the prescribed format when they submit their application form for admission after the declaration of JAM 2020 results. The final seat allotment will be done based on the OBC-NCL/EWS certificate submitted along with the application form for admission. The candidate will be considered in the General category in case the OBC-NCL/EWS Certificate is invalid or not in the prescribed format or not uploaded within the specified time.
Irrespective of whether a candidate has qualified in one or two Test Papers, only one duly completed Admission Form should be submitted. The duly completed Admission Form must list, in an option form, all the programmes at IITs (along with the order of preferences) where the candidate is seeking admission.
- Upon logging into the JAM Online Application Process System website (JOAPS), the candidate needs to provide the required information, such as choice of the programmes in order of preference, educational qualifications, percentage of marks/CGPA, category, PwD status, etc. After carefully choosing the order of programme preferences based on the ER and MEQ of the programmes at Admitting Institutes, a payment of ₹ 600/- (Rupees six hundred only) is to be made as non-refundable processing fee. The payment can be made online through JOAPS latest by
April 22, 2020 May 24, 2020.
- The Admission Form will not be considered if it is found incomplete in any respect or if it is not accompanied by the payment and the candidate will not be considered for admission, irrespective of satisfying the ER and MEQ of any programme(s) for which the Admission Form has been submitted. Also, a candidate will be considered for admission only to the programme(s), given in his/her Admission Form.
- Taking into consideration the order of preference as given in the Admission Form and corresponding rank(s) in the Merit List, the First Admission List for each programme under JAM 2020 will be prepared by the Organizing Institute and will be announced on
June 01, 2020June 29, 2020 on JAM 2020 website.
Note: Applicants are requested to periodically check the website for the status of the application/any communication. They should also check the messages sent to their registered email id and mobile number.
- After the declaration of the First List of Admission, intimation will be sent by the Organizing Institute to the candidates concerned. Along with the submission of acceptance form, these candidates will also have to pay an advance seat booking fee (₹ 10000/- for General/OBC-NCL/EWS category candidates and ₹ 5000/- for SC/ST/PwD category candidates) online through JOAPS, within the deadline mentioned in the offer letter. This amount will be transferred to the Admitting Institute and it will be adjusted against the Institute Fee at the time of Registration.
- If seats remain vacant after the first admission process is over, the Organizing Institute will prepare a Second Admission List. This second list will be announced by the Organizing Institute on
June 16, 2020 July 14, 2020 on JAM 2020 website and an intimation based on the second list, if any, will be sent to the candidates concerned by the Organizing Institute.
- Candidates who have been intimated about the offer through the Second List but not through the First List, must submit their acceptance form, along with an advance seat booking fee (Rs. 10000/- for General/OBC-NCL/EWS category candidates and ₹ 5000/- for SC/ST/PwD category candidates) paid online through JOAPS, within the deadline mentioned in the offer letter. This amount will be transferred to the Admitting Institute and it will be adjusted against the Institute Fee at the time of Registration.
- If seats remain vacant even after the second admission process is over, the Organizing Institute will prepare a Third and Final Admission List. This third and final list will be announced by the Organizing Institute on
June 29, 2020 July 29, 2020 on JAM 2020 website and the intimation will be sent by the Organizing Institute to the candidates concerned.
- Candidates who have been intimated about the offer through the Third List but not through the first two Lists, must submit their acceptance form, along with an advance seat booking fee (₹ 10000/- for General/OBC-NCL/EWS category candidates and ₹ 5000/- for SC/ST/PwD category candidates) paid online through JOAPS, within the deadline mentioned in the intimation. This amount will be transferred to the Admitting Institute and it will be adjusted against the Institute Fee at the time of Registration.
- With the Third and Final Admission List, the admission process based on JAM 2020 will come to a close.
- If a qualified candidate is allotted a seat through the First Admission List and if the offer of admission is accepted, the lower preferences of the candidate, if any, will be automatically cancelled. However, the candidate will remain on the waiting list for all his/her higher preferences (if any). Qualified candidates, who are not allotted any seat in the First/Second Admission List, will remain on the waiting list in the next round of admission(s). If a qualified candidate fails to accept an admission offer, he/she will not be considered further in the admission process.
- Verification of Minimum Educational Qualifications (MEQs) and the Eligibility Requirements (ERs) for admission is the prerogative of the Admitting Institute(s) only and the Organizing Institute will not respond to any queries in this regard.
- The offer of admission to a candidate will be provisional, subject to the fulfillment of all the requirements by the dates specified.
- Candidates should note that being in the Merit List of any test paper neither guarantees nor provides any automatic entitlement for admission. Admissions shall be made in order of merit and depending on the number of seats available at the Admitting Institute(s).
- The candidate’s finger-print will be captured before he/she takes the JAM 2020 exam. This captured data will be used for verification during the admission process. Hence, candidates should avoid any coating (ink, mehendi, henna, or tattoo) on their fingertips and have clean fingers on the examination and admission days.